Pages

Subscribe:

Monday, March 22, 2010

Small Businesses in Utah Need to Pull Together to Survive

e little shops that give an area its history. The little shops keep money in the community rather than exporting their profits elsewhere; they solely provide the attitude of an area and make each area and city individual. In addition, shop and boutique owners and usually more knowledgeable in their area of expertise and are able to offer valuable information and opinions in their field. With every Target, with every Wal-Mart, with every shopping plaza that opens, the small business further fades.


Sugarhouse has always been my favorite area in Salt Lake City. The charm, history, and quirkiness made it the ideal place to hang out, catch a movie, and shop around. The area on 9th and Highland Dr was the heart of the traffic and charm of Sugarhouse before it was torn down several years ago. I still love Sugarhouse but it's like the feet have been swept out from underneath it. There’s plans to build a condominium and mall in the empty field that stands vacant now. Great. Just what we need., another Forever 21, Barnes and Noble, and Macy's.

This year I've suddenly become aware of the issue and feel like there HAS to be something I can do. There are plans to tear down another section of shops on Highland where you can find an Argentinean bakery, art gallery, magic supply store, and organic restaurant.

Why can't several shop owners pull together to qualify for a bigger loan, and buy a clean slate of land (I know there's a vacant spot in comparable size just behind the new plaza on Highland Dr) and build our own shops exactly the way we want it? I know plenty of handy-men and contractors that would be happy to help volunteer and the purchase empty land if far less than a pre-made building. If twelve shop owners pulled together, our mortgage payment would probably be less than rent was before the big box chained kicked everyone out. I'm willing to work for this, and I'm sure others are just as frustrated as I am. My five year plan with my business is to open a storefront and share the space with a coffee shop. I just love coffee to much to be further than a few blocks from a store. Ha-ha. But if we OWNED our land for cheap, no landowner could kick us off, say our rent if past due, or that he wants to build yet another mall so everywhere looks identical to Santa Ana. Think about it. I'm looking for people to make this a possibility.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

AD

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...