Pages

Subscribe:

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Spring garden surprise and envy

We went from 3 feet of snow to mid 60's F degrees in just 1 week. I took advantage of the spring like weather to investigate the garden for what work may lie ahead. There were a few surprises waiting for me.
A good amount of Radicchio was already forming mini heads. They are growing in the mid season mixed lettuce bed from last years garden.

Spinach leftover from a raised bed area. I believe it is seed I scattered last November, after I removed the wood frames for another spot in the garden. The blurry plant I think may be Cilantro since the leaves are not of Parsley shape. Although I may be wrong.


I found 5 clumps of Parsley which were plants from last year. This is the first time I have had parsley survive a winter in the garden. There are about 4 celery plants which survived along with these guys. Weird!


I have so much work ahead of me for the garden clean up. So many sticks and rubbish blew in. Not to mention all the dead weeds I need to clear out.

I was not able to get to half of the garden before the first snow. The weeds took over the pumpkin patch as soon as I removed all the vines. This particular weed grows so fast. From just 1/2 an inch to 2 feet in as little as 1 1/2 weeks. They grew rampant last year throughout the entire garden. Making it a full time job pulling all I can. They seed very quick, so I was not able to keep up. This year I will be using the black landscape plastic. I am not devoting my summer to weeding.
Taking a break from all the clean up, I stopped over at my good friend Kim's place. She is in mid process of putting her new garden toy together.

I left dripping with envy along with more determination to finish the solar pit greenhouse. The windows I have will not fit right onto the framing, so we are going with greenhouse plastic. Besides, A few panels of glass broke over winter. Making me rethink the whole glass route.
I have a few places to travel off to this weekend. I am hoping the weather will remain somewhat warm from now on. I have a few places on the road trip schedule which require the weather we are having.
As for the next few days, I will be singing the rain rain go away song. After all this cold and snow, I'm ready to go out and play!
Sweet dreams,
~Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

AD

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...