Pages

Subscribe:

Sunday, April 4, 2010

The start of mini food wonders

The galvanized "trough" has sat in the chicken pen for over a year. Used for their leisure and a hiding nook. Given to me by a neighbor who "thought I could find a use for it". I keep eyeing the big thing and have decided the chickens could care less what I do. I have new plans for it's use.
The garden soil I have so dedicated myself to for the last 8 years, rebuilding -or rather build up-, is not the best for many root crops. I could sift the soil as to remove the pebbles/rocks and clumps of clay which force their way up each year. But that is way too big of a garden & I'm far to lazy for such work on top of everything else I do.
Now the trough is used for growing carrots. Rainbow colors due to the demands of a very persistent little Frog and (Who am I to argue over rainbow veggies?). Next is spinach to plant for above soil growing. Baby spinach for salads and baby carrots for munching.



This brings me to a subject I have been pondering for some time. Baby vegetables and Micro greens. If I give less spacing between the carrots, I can leave them to grow half way, thinning them out for use as baby carrots. Leaving the others to grow to their full potential.
This process had me drifting off in thought to other food plants I could utilize the method in. What about lettuce such as mesculan. What about spinach, turnips or beets? I began to think of more containers to use in these methods. Small raised beds or garden nursery flats.
So began the search for more information on Micro greens.
So what is the big deal with them anyway?
The beauty of micro-greens is that there is no waste and due to their intense flavour, only small amounts are required to add pizazz to a dish. Micro Greens have developed only their cotyledon (first) leaves and are no more than 8 to 14 days old. The stem and baby leaves are all that are consumed, not the roots (as is the case with alfalfa and bean sprouts). The flavor is great, the colors are beautiful and the nutritional value is exceptional. They give every salad a fresh new taste, a sandwich the ultimate crunch and flavor, and they are a beautiful and tasty garnish for any dish.
This is a subject I will be looking more into and I know just where to find it. The best part is, if my plans go right, You will learn more when I hit the road later this month. To discover how, why, when & proper methods for sustainable agriculture in your garden.



This week ,The Captain and I have a trip to the Huntington West Virginia area. I look forward to the first road trip alone with him in many years. I hope he can put up with my "I'm the driver" attitude along with my behind the wheel singing and dancing...Poor Guy.



Sweet dreams,
~Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

AD

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...