Pages

Subscribe:

Monday, November 29, 2010

Thundersnow!






Wow. The ludicrous actions of the general public never cease to surprise me.

To explain - we have been experiencing some drastic weather as of late. The media is of course blowing it out of proportion, but to be fair it has caused quite a lot of disruption to daily routines - such as bus services being reduced to minimal routes, if not cancelled completely, trains being cancelled, schools and universities closing and some local amenities closed until further notice. Roads are blocked quite badly with only main roads being cleared properly, and several cars have been stuck in my street. The latter however, has been enjoyable for me from the warmth of my house - as I have been stuck at home with no transport, and university and work closed.

It has also been the source of the explosive term infecting every corner of the internet at the minute - "thundersnow". As we have been experiencing heavy snow, it has caused thunderstorms to occur as well. It is unusual, and a first for most people, but the reason I think most people are so animated about it is because they just like saying it. Most people didn't know what was going on during the night when it first begun - I myself woke up confused, genuinely thought it was the apocalypse and went back to the sleep with the attitude: well I'd rather be asleep for this anyway - it's not like I have an arc to safely save all species in. A similar incident occurred when the snow slid off the roof and past my window. The building shook and I couldn't see a thing out the window, which left me in a state of panic for a moment or two!

For you lot who enjoyed geography at school - get your teeth into this one: 

Thundersnow: it got so badass it even struck the Police HQ! 
So, thundersnow aside (even I can't stop saying it), I went to my local supermarket today - as the buses were running for a short period - to get some vegetables to make some nice homemade soup. Nothing wild. I wasn't panicking. I was cold, sure, but not losing my mind. With layers on similar to what my Aunt has to wear while working in the South Pole - I ventured out.

Well. On arrival to the supermarket I realise that I am quite alone in my calm shopping technique. 

The shelves were bare. There was virtually no bread. The vegetable aisle was derelict, with all produce long gone. I half expected tumble weed. People had panic consumed the whole shop, and probably stolen the toilet rolls from the customer toilets as well. 

Social networking sites have been ablaze with stories of the psychotic antics of the public in and around Scotland during these arctic conditions, which provide quite a lot of hilarity and amusement. There have been sightings of people taking sledges to the local supermarket in Dunblane, as "they got milk delivered". 

I myself, don't understand this hysteria. It's as if it's an apocalyptic freeze over - the start of a new ice age. It's quite insane. Common sense has been completely lost, and panic consumerism has taken over. Even if you wiped the milk shelf clean out, buying 150 pints of the stuff - it would still go out of date in around 5-6 days. Logic has been catapulted out the frost covered window, not unlike a snowball.

If Tesco were a cartoon character - it'd have dollar signs in it's eyeballs right now. I'm not sure when I became such a cynic but I'm convinced they will be sneakily raising their prices to get more out of this somehow. Cue supermarket mavens, swooping in like the unappreciated superhero. 

But alas, it won't go on forever. Eventually normality will be restored and albeit it will remain cold, I will be able to continue with my normal routines. Studio, work, a quick bite to eat then sleep, repeat.

In the mean time, a good snow ball fight is on the cards - and lets face it, nobody gets too old for that. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

AD

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...