Pages

Subscribe:

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Furniture Design: Someone Said It Was Snowing?





To update, the snow shows little chance of withdrawing its horrid self from these parts, thus extending the mass hysteria and travel related delays. Oh goody.

To date, we have been unable to continue our workshop project since Monday, and given the final presentation deadline is a week tomorrow (Friday 10 December) I have little faith that we will be able to complete it and present fully in that short window. It has been announced that the workshop is open indefinitely today, however how long that will last, nobody is sure.

Just as I thought we may get somewhere today, another stumbling block appears in the form of all buses within Dundee have been cancelled until further notice. Boo! The last attempt to get into the workshop (and the last time it was open) was on Tuesday, to which I managed to get a bus only to find the workshop was closing on my arrival. Typical.

It's nobody's fault - everyone is working hard, but it doesn't stop the frustrations. I especially have sympathy for bus drivers and the council workers trying to clear roads and paths - but some people are being extremely selfish. I went on the Facebook site for the University to try to get a heads up on wether or not I should attempt travelling in, only to find unbelievable comments from some of the students:

"speak english people,, i dont have ANY clue about whether uni is open or not.. YES or NO are the possible answers,, not that whole thing that even google transator wouldnt help :S " - a students response to other people trying to shed some light on the University opening hours. I really hope this person does not study English. The irony does make me laugh though.

Hurling abuse onto the University's page will get them nowhere. It's stupid to expect places to open when staff cannot travel in safely - tutors tend not to live in halls opposite the facilities, love. It's funny how people have excuses not to attend class when it's sunny but when they are bored and want to attend class, it's everybody else's fault. Well, the snow is nobody's fault - even the multiple accident-helpline-lawyers-4-u-get-a-no-win-no-fee-compensation-you-deserve companies would agree.

My personal favourite comment was:

"Pathetic that they were not open today. All my revision material is in a locker in the library, and my exam is next wk! We, as students, pay A LOT of money to attend university, the least they could do is open the buiding. Should be better prepared for events like this! I don't even have the internet in my flat, so I can't even get assess to revision that way! What a joke" - I'll let this person stay anonymous.

I would however like to point out that the person who commented the pointless statement above is from Brechin, so will no doubt get SAAS funding - not costing them A LOT personally. Secondly; they received a mouthful back from a sympathetic student to the University:

"Hang on a minute here chap. It's not exactly the Uni's fault, they can't control the weather. Yes the Uni does get a lot of money for us to attend, but does that mean that the security and maintenance staff have to risk their lives so you can get into a locker. In any case did you leave your revision material over the weekend? Not that worried are you, or if you left it there overnight surely the weather last night was an indication that you should have taken it home with you. Yes we need to be told if the Uni is closed or not in advance but don't be a complete tool." - anon student/legend.

Win!

On a more serious note; I hope I can get on with things soon enough, or at least be allowed some time to make up for what we have lost. Doing the odds and ends in the mean time is all very well, but I'm itching to get on with proper work!

Thats right snow - I'm talking to you! Clear off! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

AD

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...