Pages

Subscribe:

Sunday, January 30, 2011

EcoOffice: Material Research


I thought I would just take the opportunity to share with you all some images I have been collecting for my current project.

The areas I have been directing my research towards include renovation, loft and warehouse apartment conversions, old freight elevator cages (mostly wooden), factory conversions, reclaimed wooden railway sleepers, industrial renovations and a lot of other stuff down the more technical route, such as smartglass and various eco-insulation brands. 

factory conversion
although these are eco friendly, I'm not sure I could take any more pallets!
this is one of my favourites so far, although I had more space in mind!
incorporating 'living spaces' within the office I think will prove valuable, as not only
will it increase the feel good factor having an impact on staff morale, but it will reduce the
carbon emissions
Terramac is an ingenious product from Japan which is essentially an indoor
living carpet
Kubala-Washatko Architects in Wisconsin, USA have converted an old
factory for their sustainable offices
the open plan space keeps the air circulating, exactly what is needed in a
communal area such as a reception and waiting space
this type of structure on show is how I envision the offices to be, although
with more platforms creating partial floors
bringing nature indoors serves as a reminder to protect the environment

Further to this research, I looked at freight elevators to provide disabled access. I want to keep the industrial factory-esque theme, and a salvaged fright elevator would be ideal. These are commonly seen in loft or warehouse apartment conversions, seem most often in the likes of Boston, New York, San Francisco, and London. 


these old industrial freight cage elevators are highly sought after
for warehouse conversions, and can be salvaged from old
factories and warehouses

We are set to visit the site on Thursday, however as it is close to my house I took a wander there this morning armed with my DSLR. Unfortunately however, aside from the rather overcast sky, it is right next to the stadium for Dundee United Football Club - and today happened to be a day where they are playing at home. Aside from police cones along the road, the road being blocked off, a man from Sky Sports wandering around, and a coach in the way, the Hibs coach turned up - so I decided to call it a day. Hopefully Thursday will be more successful - and at least we will get a look inside the building as well, as it is currently under lock and key. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

AD

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...