Pages

Subscribe:

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Reduce|Reuse|Recycle: New Year, New Project, Re[new]able Energy!

First of all, let me just wish everybody a Happy New Year and all that! 

The festivities are over once again, that is of course, until the inevitable giant magical revolving calendar door does a full circle bringing us into 2012 - along with the Olympic Games and the end of the world (if Nostradamus is anything to go by). But enough of the apocalyptic chat.



On a lighter note: I got a morph in my stocking! YAS!
After a much needed rest after first semester - I'm more than recharged for jumping back into the deep end with my forthcoming project: sustainability. There are a few aspects to this project, but from what I have gathered from last years briefs which are still available online, we are required to consider (but not solely limited to) the following: 
  1. Investigate and question what the journey is surrounding books, including their content and presentation. What makes a book? Concern ourselves with the art of book binding, and the creation of precious texts and so forth. 
  2. Sustainability within design. How does the environment influence design? What products have been designed specifically with the environment in mind? What must we be taking into consideration when designing for the future?
  3. Locating possible job positions that we would like to consider as a graduate - what would we consider as a derivative position from the course content?
From the above background research, we are asked to then create a book with green content in small groups. As a result, we will have an upcycled handmade book - that is, to recycle and reuse existing products and waste materials into something of equal or better quality and therefore reduce the need to manufacture brand new products (to downcycle is to create new products that are inferior to the original)(McDonough & Braungart, 2002). 

Further to the aforementioned pre-project tasks, we are then to carry on our findings, progressing onto redesigning
 and upcycling an existing 2‐storey dwelling with attic extension incorporating living/working accommodation for a client, Emma Fraser, who is a book conservator in the University of Dundee. 

We must accommodate for our client’s requirements, including: 
a space to cook and eat, a space to bathe, a space to entertain and/or relax, 2 spaces to sleep one for Emma and one for visitors, a space to work (40m2)(24m2 studio – clean space, 10m2 dirty area and 6m2 storage), and a space for outdoor living/working.

art is what you can get away with, after all
I've already downloaded the plans and printed them, and even got on with some preliminary SketchUp ideas - I was after all feeling like I needed to stuck in with something new. I've also just ordered my Design Studies books, as the snow's melted, and deliveries are now possible again! Whoopie! 

I got several things this Christmas that will be joining me in the studio when we return; including a Morph in my stocking which will join me at my desk, as well as origami post-it notes! My favourite silly gift is still an Andy Warhol "inspiration box" that houses a miniature Andy Warhol to help inspire me when it's rainy and windy and not very pleasant - so that's daily really. 

It will soon be time to visit EcoBuild in London again (I've ordered my pass already), but this time I think it will be much more valuable - as our project is more concerned with these aspects of building. Sustainability is something we should always concern ourselves with, as it is our future. I'm gathering a library of ecological materials that I will research into further in time, but for now as it is still the holidays - they can continue to gather dust in my Eco bookmarks folder, while I continue to add more as and when I come across them.

See you all soon, folks!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

AD

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...