Pages

Subscribe:

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Fresh garden View & European Potato basket bin

The garden has a fresh new look , causing a smile with every visit. After the painting of the picket fence exterior, I added a Gothic finial to each post on the sides of the gate. With the help of my little man, I put in 2 permanent herb beds, flanking the front gate.On one side we put 2 lavender and 3 thyme. On the other, we put in all Lavender. I found the Lavender on sale for half the price being it is the end of season for such things to be in any demand. 
A sand walkway bordered by brick with large River stone nestled in, have been placed for the Garden entry. I may very well come Spring, continue the path all the way through the the garden, guiding to the back gate on the North & South side.On the back end, I am contemplating a T formation for back lay out.
 We put in a Fall crop of Kale, Winter density lettuce, peas & snow peas in the front Carrot bed, which are coming up rather nicely. I anticipate  the late harvest with hopefully a decent amount for freezing. 
All in all, I am overjoyed with what we have done to make the garden more inviting as you walk out back. Very little cost, but a huge impact of difference. I still have the back arbor area to do, which will be a few more weeks being I am buying materials on my small paycheck.

I am rather excited to have found a U.S source for a certain willow woven Potato basket bin I have coveted for some time now. I have seen them all over sites for purchasing from the U.K
I find them absolutely darling and would be of great use since my hanging basket has fallen twice now due to the weight of our potato consumption. These would also make for great onion or Garlic bin which the source does have a smaller version. I found them online at Bed Bath & Beyond for a range of $30 & $60. I do believe this will be my answer when asked what I would like for the holidays. One for onions & one for potatoes. Although, I may end up purchasing from a place in the U.K if I do not find these in my local store.

I also found an inexpensive source for the {great for beginners} Easy to make Shaker style Onion baskets, which unlike the bins above, these would be hung. How beautiful to have a cellar/Pantry or basement wall lined with these for storing all those Garden onions, garlic bulbs and yes...even those petite fingerling /colored potatoes {after all, ya cant store them all in the willow bin}.
I found the kits complete with instructions for $8.95 over at http://www.basketweaving.com/ . They are named Country onion basket on their site.I am determined to order the kit with the extra materials supply for 5. Being the weather is getting colder and knowing our children, they would highly enjoy making these as we sit by the fireplace, cooking up some soup or such with the dutch oven in the hot embers.
 I do believe they would make for unique gifts and would be enhanced by adding a slate, galvanized metal or other writing surface tag attached to it's front. I found these over on Etsy By SweetKate {at this posting} for $5.95 that gives you 2 of them. This is just one of the many styles to choose from.
I have more work to be done before the cold hits this week. Rosemary to be potted up from the front herb and flower bed.  Some problem solving of the once again muddy chicken pen {I think sand may be the key for those certain spots they seem to slop up quickly} and of course some intense Mud room cleaning before it's too cold to have my hands in a mop bucket scrubbing floors and walls.
Until next time..
Sweetest Dreams,
~Tammie 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

AD

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...