Pages

Subscribe:

Sunday, August 6, 2006

Why do chickens wander in the rain?

I just dont get it. All the others make a run for the coop while a few wander around outside. Maybe lounge and squat down in a spot out in the open or just slowly walk around. It is almost like they think if they keep moving around they may find a "hole" in the rain. It seems to be the same ones who do it in each rain too. These guys turn their beaks up to worms too. I can dig and find nice various sizes and offer it to them. The only chickens that will eat the worms are the barnyard matriarchs- Fletcher, Dr.Suess, Ditzy chick & the Captain (captain feathersword). That was big time country style entertainment to the kids when we were diggin' in the garden. The "chicks" were always kept in the pen and we would bring the worms to them. It seemed only the australorps had a taste for worm. The ladies and the Captain would get so excited and just scratch around us waiting for their turn to play in the garden dirt. we would keep a bucket with dirt in it to throw all the worms we could find for later feeding to them. Neighborhood kids always loved coming over and feeding worms to the chickens too. Like I said- Big time country style entertainment for the kids. So much better then T.V or a park in the city (with all the rude bully type kids on the playground with mothers who could care less that their children have no manners and ... well thats another subject- back to the chickens-).
So the chick girls have yet to lay an egg. I am out of eggs and am in the middle of making blueberry pancakes. Hubby requested them last night which I thought was kinda funny since Green Dream had mentioned making them over at her house. Just made me smile & think of her when he asked for them since I just read her entry on it...
Back to the chicks egg laying- combs are still kinda pink and pale on them. I did see one of the Pennies have a redder comb 2 days ago but now it is back to being pale. i have kept them in the pen untill mid-late afternoon knowing they should come into laying anytime now. I want my egss! .......tantrum here......
I cannot tell if it is ditzy chick or fletcher laying the 1 brown egg I get from the two of them. (Dr. suess lays pale sky blue eggs) I am think I may seperate them by putting one up in the Turken harem ( I really just like saying that.) just to see who's egg it is. Ditzy chick looks rather haggard right now too. She is missing some feathers in a line down her neck along with those crooked toes... She looks a mess but I know it is not a molt since she recently came out of her last one. Fletcher is old and a favorite to Bill (Hubby name will now be used) since she "hangs out" with him and eats from his hand. It entertains him.
Still looking at property and hubby has aggreed to move a good distance if that is where we can buy. An example is one close to the W.Va border in Belmont county Ohio. It is a few counties south of us but 16 acres with a field and a nice size "large" creek going through it for $24,900 is a must see. May be going today to take a look. Of course that means Bill would have to stay in a motel/effeciancy during the work week but he spend just as much on gas but driving means less time sleeping. We only "see" him an hour a day as it is during his work days. he works from sun down to sun up - 11 hours X 4 days- sleeping in the daytime. We only get to see/spend any kind of time with him on the 3 days off he has. Ack! now I am rambling since I am still on my first cup of coffee. I will fill you all in on what the realtor said about our selling place later on. till then....
~Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

AD

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...